The Gift of Hearing Program provides affordable hearing aids for those who qualify. To find out if you are eligible, please follow these steps:
1. Make an appointment with your doctor to get your ears checked.
- Get a copy of the report for your records. Your hearing test MUST be current within a year.
- Meet with an Independent Living Coordinator at OSCIL
- Fill out an application and Financial Needs Determination form (Provide documentation).
2. Make an appointment with your primary care doctor.
- Have your doctor fill out the pre-evaluation form. Please send a copy of pre-evaluation to OSCIL. Keep this form and your hearing test for your appointment with URI.
3. You will receive a package with a ?Letter of Introduction? from OSCIL explaining to URI that you are eligible to participate in the program. It will also include directions to the URI Speech & Hearing Center.
4. Call URI Speech & Hearing Center to make an appointment. Contact them at: (401) 874-5969. Explain that you have received a of Introduction.
5. Take the following to your appointment at URI.
- Letter of Introduction
- Pre-evaluation? form
- Hearing Test
6. At URI you will be tested. The tester will be a student supervised by a Licensed Audiologist. You will be fitted with an ear mold. The hearing aid will then be ordered!
*Remember - The hearing aids in this program are basic technology and are at low cost but not free.
7. When the hearing aid arrives: Return to URI for your final fitting and purchase. You MUST pay for a hearing aid at this visit.
- Hearing aids cost $600.00 per ear
- Hearing aids come with a limited time warranty.
- If you have any questions, please contact us at (401) 738-1013. Thank you!
Payment is due in full at the time of this appointment.
- There are NO payment plans available at this time.
There are economic guidelines for this program. OSCIL staff will work with applicants to determine eligibility and appropriate funding sources based on individual economic need.
For economic guidelines, click here.
To download a printable version of our Gift of Hearing Brochure - click here.
The Ocean State Center for Independent Living works in collaboration with the Gift of Hearing Program at the University of Rhode Island (URI) to provide low cost hearing aids to those in need. For more information call our office at 738-1013 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.